Tuesday, November 29, 2005

Time to start breaking myths...

Weekends in the USA...

To say boring would be an understatement.. People back home reading this might be surprised, but it's damn true!

I used to think that getting up at 10 a.m was late enough....Sadly, graduate life in the US has pummeled my sleeping habits into oblivion! The earliest I've woken up on a weekend is 11 a.m. Sometimes I wake up at 12 noon, skip breakfast and head straight for lunch! I guess waking up late helps to delay the boredom to come ahead..

..

This is a rule of thumb for a computer science graduate student with 3 courses - "There will always be an assignment on every weekend for each of the 16 weekends in the semester".

Next rule of thumb - "Each of these 16 assignments will never be done on any of those 16 weekends..they will be relegated to the coming Monday."

..

Yeah, I do not have any relatives in the US...atleast in this sense, I stand out from the local crowd here...the lone ranger from my family!!

Man.. every Indian student I know here has some form of near or distant relative in the US. I guess their sole purpose of coming here is to meet them, and not for graduate studies. The topic inevitably slips into every other conversation...

Me: "What plans for December?" (December.. winter break)

X:"I'm going to meet my aunt in California."

Y:"I'm going to stay with my sister for a week."

X,Y: "What about you?"

Me:"No relatives , therefore no plans."

X,Y(In unison!): "You don't have relatives here? Wow..".

I love the fact that I'm all "alone" in the United States. Miles away from home, fending for myself, funding my way through college.. It's been a tough experience, and it's been worth the risk.

Meandering on...

Most students (please interpret as Indian graduate students) here live like monks .. No television, no newspaper (sigh.. I miss both..) . ..completely unaware of what is going on in the country that we are residing in!

We hear the 'headlines' or 'top stories' only by word of mouth, in this era of the internet! I'm seriously considering purchasing a TV.. (although my dad vehemently opposes the idea!) Electronics are cheap in the US .. especially if they are refurbished goods..yeah, the US lingo for "second-hand" or "used stuff"..

I see that most of the post content was hardly related to myth breaking.. But then again, "Meanderthal's the name, and meandering my game..."

Networks final tomorrow...Long way to go before I can consider myself prepared..

Posted on December 1, 2005... Heaven knows what's wrong with blogspot's timestamp mechanism...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home